Saturday, November 29, 2008

Learn to speak you boss's language

If you want your crew to listen, learn to speak their language.

I used to teach management principles to state employees. One day as the class was winding down, a gentlemen came up to me and asked, “Do you really believe that stuff?” I told him yes, and I was speaking the truth. It was only later that I learned how wrong I was.

One of the principles I taught was that you define your goals, break those goals down into measurable steps, and check regularly to make sure you are still on course. Then adjust your course before you got too far off track.

To do this, I always tried to make sure I understood my boss’s goals. Then, I would break those goals down into the steps I needed to take in order to accomplish them. In order to make sure I stayed on track I let my boss know what I was doing. It works fine, as long as my boss is understood what I was trying to do.

I was promoted and assigned to new boss. After I made my first report to him, he wrote me a letter of reprimand, telling me that I worked for him, I would not tell him what to do and he would give me daily assignments. He expected them to be carried out to the letter.

I went to him and told him I needed his guidance and was not trying to tell him what to do. I was simply trying to keep him informed as to what I was doing so he could make sure that I was on course. He told me that because of the workload we could only respond to the demands of the job and repeated that I was not to take any initiative but was to do exactly what he told me.

Now it's true that the crew must follow orders, but it is hard to work for a man who doesn't set a course. I like to work with the team, but I always got my hackles up when someone told me what to do. When you're in this kind of a situation you have two choices. One is to find a new captain. The other, is to swallow your pride and follow orders. I needed to secure a retirement. So for seven years, I followed orders.

I try to learn from my mistakes. Looking back at it, rather than trying to use my initiative to do a better job, I should have relaxed and taken orders. If you are a crew member, you have the follow orders. One thing, you always have to remember is that time often resolves problems. Be patient, the boss will retire and you may take his place. Who knows, you may even get a boss you actually like working for.

Remember, if you're part of the crew you better understand your captain's language

Based on the book, "A River Worth Riding" by Lynn Marie Sager.

No comments: