Friday, January 11, 2008

A few words on advice...

One of my favorite moments in Alexandre Dumas's Three Musketeers, or was it Twenty Years After, is when Athos essentially tells D'Artagnan, "I make it a policy to never give advice unless someone asks for it three times. Even then they seldom want, or heed it."

Such good advice to those who love to give advice...

Here is what A River Worth Riding advises about offering advice:

Offering advice, when advice has not been specifically asked for, creates frustration and animosity between people. The dreaded phrase, “Well, if I were you, I would…” will more likely cause eyes to roll than hearts to open. Remember: You are not me. You do not know everything about me. So you do not need to offer me your advice, unless I ask for that advice, regarding what you would do if you were me. Keep your advice to yourself, and I promise to give you the same courtesy.

No comments: