Saturday, January 5, 2008

You can have easy, or you can have worthwhile; but you can't have both.

Which do you prefer: cheap bargains, or fair wages? Pick one because you can’t have both.

Which do you prefer: being healthy, or eating whatever like? Again, you can’t have both.

Which do you prefer: no taxes, or a government that takes care of you? That’s right, you can’t have both.

People find it easy to decide between a good thing and a bad thing. For example, would you prefer that I give you my money, or that I take your money? Whenever I ask this question in class, everyone opts for getting my money. After all, it’s an easy choice.

But how about deciding between two good things, or two bad things?

Do you want me to be nice, or do you want me to be honest? Do you want to fight with me, or do you want me to beat you up? Do you want me to be true to our friendship, or do you want me to be true to myself? Do you want to have an easy life, or do you want to have a worthwhile life?

Questions like these are difficult to answer. We often try to get both, or neither, and we end up getting a mess.

In order to make life’s hardest decisions, you must know what you value. Unless you determine your priorities, your decisions will be as uncertain as your mind, and no decision equals no action.

So which do you prefer: easy or worthwhile? You can’t have both.

No comments: